Hello and Welcome to Cloud Me Baby!

CMB is dedicated to improving efficiency & maximizing money making on cloud-based platforms:
-Amazon Mechanical Turk- -Clickworker- -oDesk- -UHRS- and -Other online job opportunities-.


If you are a registered member and cannot access the complete forum you have probably been flagged by our system for not meeting the POSTING POLICY.

SECURITY ALERT global announcement here. (Link corrected)

Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Everybody is new once. Don't be afraid to ask. Who knows maybe some of our more "seasoned" turkers will be able to help you out.

Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#1  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Due to the recent issues and conflicts that have come up in the chat I have honestly put more thought into closing it. I really hate to do that because I think our chat box is one of the things that sets us above and beyond the other two forums out there. This is very, VERY hard for me to do and it is not just because of conflicts. After stepping back and looking it seems like the chat room has became our forum. It seems the forum is mainly a ghost town with a post here and a post there which really does remind me of our old home. Sure people in the chat are meeting the posting limits and putting what the think is important out there. But that is not what I am referring too. I am referring to all of the odd little questions and answers that go on in the chat that really are needed in the forum. Questions like, "what do you do in case of this?" and "why did you do this?. These are questions that are being asked and answered in the chat every day. Ones which we may like to look back upon six months from now that will not be there to see.

Now I know a few of you out there are going to blame this on one individual and if you can do that in could conscious good for you. However know this, it may not be the most proper thing for an admin to say, but I can find faults in every one of us. Nobody here is perfect, no matter how much we would like to think we are. And if you believe you have never done any wrong I would suggest looking in the mirror a bit harder next time. You may not be able to see yourself clearly with the glow of your halo beaming so bright.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#2  Postby lphillips1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 pm

I don't know, I am 50/50 on this one. I will say that the chat area is a powerful tool for those of us who work at home who benefit from real-time answers to questions. Sometimes, on the forums, we have to wait for answers to questions that can sometimes hinder our production. That being said, I understand the importance of keeping the forums alive and active, and most of what we decide to share should be posted on the forums.

There is always going to be conflict, whether it is in chat, the forums, regular jobs and everyday life in general. There is no getting away from that. For the most part, I find the chat quite civil and a great place to meet new friends, and talk about things outside of work(this from a guy who has a tendency to run off at the mouth). If I had to lean in one direction, I guess I would vote to keep the chat open for a probationary period and changing the minimum amount of posts required from two to maybe four to five. Just a thought for now, if I think of something else I will definitely post.
lphillips1
 

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#3  Postby Lane » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

I don't feel like the chat should be closed. As you said yourself you think the chat sets us apart from the other forums and there are several hits, TLR for example, that go so quickly that many will not want to take the time to go to the thread just to say that they're up. Not everyone is constantly looking for hits on a 24/7 basis like I and a few others are so I feel like many will start missing out on when hits are up. With the amount of time that many of us spend together on this site and in the chat, more than 12+ hours a day, it is hard to expect for us to get along with each other each and every day. Disagreeing is just part of it sometimes and I don't believe that should be the reason to take down something that makes this site as great as it is. As for the questions, maybe we all should just convince people to put important questions in the forums more than they have that way they don't get lost in the archives.
User avatar
Lane
Teacher
Teacher
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#4  Postby AnonymousTurker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm

I don't think this would be a very good idea.
User avatar
AnonymousTurker
Teacher
Teacher
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 pm
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 294 times
Sex: Male

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#5  Postby Lumpy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:09 pm

As some of you know, I am a tad bit of an IRC junkie... Frankly, I think it is one of the best resources out there, especially due to it's expedient nature. For what it is worth, I like you chat and have been leaving it open 24/7 in a browser on a secondary machine. While I feel some of what others have said in chat has been hurtful and just plain childish, would it not be like giving in to the jerk bully who stole your lunch money when younger?

I know I am just past n00bness here but my thought is keep the chat... maybe put it on a regular IRC network where you can moderate it a bit more easily but deffinitely keep it.
User avatar
Lumpy
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:22 am
Location: https://twitter.com/Lumpy
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 73 times
Sex: Male
About Me: Long time PC geek, (started with TRS 80s and Vic 20s), blogger, and podcaster.

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#6  Postby lphillips1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Another quick point. If you do decide to close chat, you would have to come up with something that separates your forum from the others. If chat is closed, in my own opinion, it would just be another forum in a sea of forums dedicated to work at home opportunities. As of now, the chat section is what separates the quality of this forum compared to the others. I do recognize the importance of keeping the regular forum section strong, so maybe the regulars can all pitch in with some ideas on how to strengthen the forum sections without closing chat.
lphillips1
 

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#7  Postby lphillips1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Let me interject one more thought. Lane's TLR example illustrates the power of real-time information for certain requestors. However, take a look at CrowdSource for a moment. Seldom, if ever do you see anyone chatting about CS in the chat box. The majority of information is relegated to the CS forums. And I can honestly say, the information is high-quality. The CS forums are very active as well. I find myself referring back to the archives often. That is a huge distinction between this forum and other forums.
lphillips1
 

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#8  Postby SexLovesCandy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

It would be a bad idea. I understand the importance if the forum itself, but the chat is what keeps things flowing. Other forums are junky space wasters and I would hate to see CMB become the same. Chat is what makes it interesting to pop in. I often have it open in a tab even though sometimes I forget to chat. When I have something important I add it.
This is our livlihood. Emotions run high when being able to pay rent or buy groceries is at stake. It is impossible to remove the emotions from something like turking. So once in awhile feelings get hurt for no reason. everyone works differently and at their own pace, and it is a free world where we can choose to work on whatever we want without judgement. Chat is important. With out real time answers we would become like every other forum out there, and we are not like that. Just my two cents.
Last edited by SexLovesCandy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SexLovesCandy
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:06 am
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#9  Postby itsme » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

If you look at mtf, the discussion about requester and the chat takes place all in one section that makes the forum look like gibberish. If it happens here also, I feel the output would be same. So I think chat is a must.

Few suggestions I have is
1) Make the homepage directs to the forum page(index.php) and not to the main chat page(portal.php). This is because when we see the chat page as the homepage, it looks like this is the main area.
2) We have a rule like - " posting links in the chat area will not be allowed UNLESS they are also posted in the proper forum area. ". How about no links in the chat section and posting only in the dedicated thread?
3) Alerting about the new batches only in the respective thread and strictly not in chat
4) If a member had a personal communication with the requester and likes to share with us, then it should be posted in the respective thread and strictly not in chat

Some may don't like these ideas but I feel it will be good for both of us (admin and members) in the long run.
User avatar
itsme
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#10  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:07 pm

I understand clearly that those of you that have commented feel the chat should be left open. (although I was getting pm's yesterday that said differently) I very much want it to stay open too. But there really does need to be a reason and a solution. I am sure you all see me as the big bad wolf who expects you to ask how high when I say jump but that is just not the case. I see friends and family who for the most part help each other out quite a bit. Yet I also see teenagers amongst us who want everything their way all the time and when they don't get it throw a fit like two year olds. So tell me, as an admin (mommy) what am I supposed to do?

Do I get rid of the "bad" people when it comes to chat? The trouble makers? The ones that feel differently then the majority? And if so then who is to say who these trouble makers are? Who is to say what is right and what is wrong? I have said this before and I will say it again, the written word is one that is easily misheard. None of us (that I know of) are award winning literature artist. I know I sure as hell am not. We all sometimes hear what we want to hear no matter what is written. I could write, "I love you" and add a wink smiley and you could take it as a dis instead. So please, tell me. What is the solution? How do we decipher who should stay and who should go? Name calling? If I say, Johnny (just for example) you are a lousy person", then yes I see that as a straight out attack. Yet if I say, "some people in here are just worthless", who exactly is it that I am attacking? Some of you may take it that way because you feel some type of aggression towards me but I am not outright calling anyone names. Am I? Should we not allow curse words or other adult material? Well if that happens then the majority of us will be gone. So, what should we do?

When Wild and I started this forum it was to allow people a place to help people make more money online. It was a place not to be censored or corrupted with clubs. It was a place where people could feel welcomed and relax. But let me tell you, lately I have not felt welcome in my own forum. Believe it or not I have started to wonder if I actually gave SG a fair shake from time to time. Maybe she isn't really the dictator I made her out to be. Maybe that is what it takes to run a forum when people are constantly complaining about each other and you feel (as an amin) you have no other choice. Please don't take this as an outright attack on anyone because that is not what I am looking for. What I am looking for is a solution instead of a blame game.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#11  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:12 pm

AnonymousTurker wrote:I don't think this would be a very good idea.



I appreciate your thoughts anon but why? And if not why then how do we fix it?
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#12  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Lumpy wrote:As some of you know, I am a tad bit of an IRC junkie... Frankly, I think it is one of the best resources out there, especially due to it's expedient nature. For what it is worth, I like you chat and have been leaving it open 24/7 in a browser on a secondary machine. While I feel some of what others have said in chat has been hurtful and just plain childish, would it not be like giving in to the jerk bully who stole your lunch money when younger?

I know I am just past n00bness here but my thought is keep the chat... maybe put it on a regular IRC network where you can moderate it a bit more easily but deffinitely keep it.


I understand your thoughts on the childish aspect trust me. But instead of playing the blame game what do we do?

As for the IRC network being easier to moderate it is actually not easier. I have the ability to do the same things here with moderation and the like while still being on the forum as well.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#13  Postby lphillips1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

I personally do not see many trouble makers in the chat (unless I am missing something). In my opinion, and I have stated this before, I find the chat to be civil at least 90 percent of the time or more. I have been known to run my mouth from time to time, more often than others, but everyone is going to vent now and again, it is human nature and there is no getting around it. And, let me state this for the record, this forum is a great tool for those of us who work from home. It is unbiased, it is relaxed, and it is very friendly. However, no matter how hard you try, there are always going to be problems, back-biting and bickering. The key thing to understand, I just don't see it happen that often on this forum. And I promise you, this forum and the chat portal has done a helluva lot more good than harm. I read quite often where folks have made more money online due to the power of this forum than they could have possibly imagined. This is just what I am seeing to date since becoming a member and just my opinion, I hope the right choices are made.
lphillips1
 

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#14  Postby lphillips1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

One more quick thought and I have to get back to work. Unfortunately, if you close the chat you might lose quite a few users who have grown accustomed to making not only the chat but the forums a big part of their workday. It might be like starting from scratch, You may not want to hear that but it is something that crossed my mind. I hope you take that into consideration. Either way, thanks ST and Wild for a great platform.
lphillips1
 

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#15  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 pm

lphillips1 wrote:One more quick thought and I have to get back to work. Unfortunately, if you close the chat you might lose quite a few users who have grown accustomed to making not only the chat but the forums a big part of their workday. It might be like starting from scratch, You may not want to hear that but it is something that crossed my mind. I hope you take that into consideration. Either way, thanks ST and Wild for a great platform.


Thanks lp for all of your comments. I am very well aware of the backlash closing the chat may do. However, when I compare it to the sanity that I have lost or on earth it could become, I think it may be a risk I will have to take. I would hate to lose any of our members but I also know that we will lose more in the long run if it is to stay the way it is now. :wub:
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#16  Postby AnonymousTurker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm

The chat is what makes CMB what it is. My suggestion is what many of us have wanted for a long time a simple ignore function in chat. Someone is being an lovely in chat? Ignore them now you can no longer see what is being said by them so there is no issues. Want to kiss and make up? Unblock them.

There seems to be a reoccurring issue that everything needs to be fair for everyone. That idea is preposterous because as many of us know nothing in life is fair, often it's far from it. So some people will get blocked more than others, they could still possibly see the posts in the chat and forums from people who blocked them. And hell maybe once they realize that a few people have them blocked they could do some self examination as to what they are doing to cause that.

The second issue that pops up is the use of the boards. It's no secert that I barely use them, only because let's be frank here. We're here to make money, the real time communication the chat offers aides in that
better than any other option. Now if every time a HIT pops up or I have a quick question I have to go thru several screens type up the question and then wait for someone else to go in the thread see my question and take the time to do the same I'm losing money. But hey if I can simply type my question, hit enter and someone quickly answers my question we are all back on track to earning money in 20 seconds. Sure most of us use the boards to post experiences with requesters and such but at times it's sort of pointless to post a HIT that will be gone in 10 minutes for someone else to try later in the day.

I love this site ST, and have grown as a Turker and hell as a person because of it. I just think people need to turn on Vulcan mode while working and nix the emotions. Just come here make money and help one another out minus all the lovely.
User avatar
AnonymousTurker
Teacher
Teacher
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 pm
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 294 times
Sex: Male

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#17  Postby Desuka » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm

In my opinion change is bad. I believe removing features a lot of people already use will not have a positive result. Instead to work around the current issue, perhaps add some chat moderation commands. Commands that only admins/mods can use.

Commands that mute the user from typing in the chat, and commands that ban the user from the chat and or forum. The offenses can expire after X amount of time.

The reasoning for commands instead of removing the entire feature is because some people genuinely use the chat box. It is unfair; one person, who is having a bad day, to ruin it for everyone. It is immature to argue in a chat box--but we are not children. Commands are necessary to stop people from making a fool of themselves.

I know a lot of people (mainly the victim) will disagree with me about force stopping a fight. The victim wants to get their word out but honestly, it doesn't matter. Let the fight go, let the criticism go, it really doesn't matter what the fight was about. Be the bigger adult and have some pride in yourself. State your facts but if you think it will hurt other people, don't say it. Be humble.
User avatar
Desuka
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm
Location: California
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Sex: Male

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#18  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:58 pm

AnonymousTurker wrote:The chat is what makes CMB what it is. My suggestion is what many of us have wanted for a long time a simple ignore function in chat. Someone is being an lovely in chat? Ignore them now you can no longer see what is being said by them so there is no issues. Want to kiss and make up? Unblock them.


This idea I like VERY much. However, have yet to find a mod that will allow it. Yet, although I will look deeper into it and possibly ask Wild or Joey to write it for me I only have one simple thing to add. What then do we do with the people (and you know they are out there) who will not use the ignore button? The ones who are so steadfast that they are right and just keep the drama going?

There seems to be a reoccurring issue that everything needs to be fair for everyone. That idea is preposterous because as many of us know nothing in life is fair, often it's far from it.

Although I agree with your sentiment that life is not fair I would like to think, as adults, we can try our best.

The second issue that pops up is the use of the boards. It's no secert that I barely use them, only because let's be frank here. We're here to make money, the real time communication the chat offers aides in that
better than any other option. Now if every time a HIT pops up or I have a quick question I have to go thru several screens type up the question and then wait for someone else to go in the thread see my question and take the time to do the same I'm losing money. But hey if I can simply type my question, hit enter and someone quickly answers my question we are all back on track to earning money in 20 seconds. Sure most of us use the boards to post experiences with requesters and such but at times it's sort of pointless to post a HIT that will be gone in 10 minutes for someone else to try later in the day.


I understand that we are all here to make money and although it would take more time to use the forums they are there to allow people to make that money too. If not then why not just have one big thread? Or a free chat room? Why have the forums at all? The forums allow for communication with requesters. Communication that is very much needed for all of us to make our earning potential. Without an active and organized forum for requesters to come to many of our incomes would be cut in half. They also give a permanent record for someone to look back upon for questions that may have been answered months ago and are organized to make it easy to find. If no one ever post in the forums then those records would not be there for you and I to find today.

I love this site ST, and have grown as a Turker and hell as a person because of it. I just think people need to turn on Vulcan mode while working and nix the emotions. Just come here make money and help one another out minus all the lovely.


Thanks you for your good words on the site. I really am not sure about just coming here to make money minus all the lovely though. Some of the lovely that is said in chat is a very well needed stress reliever from time to time. :giggle_f:
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#19  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Desuka wrote:In my opinion change is bad. I believe removing features a lot of people already use will not have a positive result. Instead to work around the current issue, perhaps add some chat moderation commands. Commands that only admins/mods can use.

Commands that mute the user from typing in the chat, and commands that ban the user from the chat and or forum. The offenses can expire after X amount of time.

The reasoning for commands instead of removing the entire feature is because some people genuinely use the chat box. It is unfair; one person, who is having a bad day, to ruin it for everyone. It is immature to argue in a chat box--but we are not children. Commands are necessary to stop people from making a fool of themselves.

I know a lot of people (mainly the victim) will disagree with me about force stopping a fight. The victim wants to get their word out but honestly, it doesn't matter. Let the fight go, let the criticism go, it really doesn't matter what the fight was about. Be the bigger adult and have some pride in yourself. State your facts but if you think it will hurt other people, don't say it. Be humble.


These commands are already in place hun and I did finally use them yesterday in the fairest way I know how. However, I as still made out to be the bad guy because of it. :dntknw:
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#20  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm

itsme wrote:If you look at mtf, the discussion about requester and the chat takes place all in one section that makes the forum look like gibberish. If it happens here also, I feel the output would be same. So I think chat is a must.

Few suggestions I have is
1) Make the homepage directs to the forum page(index.php) and not to the main chat page(portal.php). This is because when we see the chat page as the homepage, it looks like this is the main area.
2) We have a rule like - " posting links in the chat area will not be allowed UNLESS they are also posted in the proper forum area. ". How about no links in the chat section and posting only in the dedicated thread?
3) Alerting about the new batches only in the respective thread and strictly not in chat
4) If a member had a personal communication with the requester and likes to share with us, then it should be posted in the respective thread and strictly not in chat

Some may don't like these ideas but I feel it will be good for both of us (admin and members) in the long run.


Thank you hun for addressing these issues. I really do like to hearing from someone who is not often in the chat. It gives a much better perspective about the forum that those of us in chat all of the time do not see.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#21  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 pm

SexLovesCandy wrote:It would be a bad idea. I understand the importance if the forum itself, but the chat is what keeps things flowing. Other forums are junky space wasters and I would hate to see CMB become the same. Chat is what makes it interesting to pop in. I often have it open in a tab even though sometimes I forget to chat. When I have something important I add it.
This is our livlihood. Emotions run high when being able to pay rent or buy groceries is at stake. It is impossible to remove the emotions from something like turking. So once in awhile feelings get hurt for no reason. everyone works differently and at their own pace, and it is a free world where we can choose to work on whatever we want without judgement. Chat is important. With out real time answers we would become like every other forum out there, and we are not like that. Just my two cents.


Thanks Sexy. Can you make any suggestions to have those real time answers also posted in the forums for future reference? For those who are not on the site at that current time or for those who need the answer a few weeks/months from now?
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#22  Postby Desuka » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:11 pm

ThatGirl-ST wrote:
Desuka wrote:In my opinion change is bad. I believe removing features a lot of people already use will not have a positive result. Instead to work around the current issue, perhaps add some chat moderation commands. Commands that only admins/mods can use.

Commands that mute the user from typing in the chat, and commands that ban the user from the chat and or forum. The offenses can expire after X amount of time.

The reasoning for commands instead of removing the entire feature is because some people genuinely use the chat box. It is unfair; one person, who is having a bad day, to ruin it for everyone. It is immature to argue in a chat box--but we are not children. Commands are necessary to stop people from making a fool of themselves.

I know a lot of people (mainly the victim) will disagree with me about force stopping a fight. The victim wants to get their word out but honestly, it doesn't matter. Let the fight go, let the criticism go, it really doesn't matter what the fight was about. Be the bigger adult and have some pride in yourself. State your facts but if you think it will hurt other people, don't say it. Be humble.


These commands are already in place hun and I did finally use them yesterday in the fairest way I know how. However, I as still made out to be the bad guy because of it. :dntknw:


I used to moderate a forum when I ran a private server and this will always happen. But remember you have supporters too. From the victims point of view, you will almost always be made out as the bad guy. Just know that you are not doing anything wrong. You you were doing the right thing. Eventually when the victim realizes what has happened, he/she will respect you for that, but not always. Some people you just cannot help. Also remember that there is no such thing as power abuse, as long as you believe in what you are doing is right.
User avatar
Desuka
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm
Location: California
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Sex: Male

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#23  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Lane wrote:I don't feel like the chat should be closed. As you said yourself you think the chat sets us apart from the other forums and there are several hits, TLR for example, that go so quickly that many will not want to take the time to go to the thread just to say that they're up. Not everyone is constantly looking for hits on a 24/7 basis like I and a few others are so I feel like many will start missing out on when hits are up. With the amount of time that many of us spend together on this site and in the chat, more than 12+ hours a day, it is hard to expect for us to get along with each other each and every day. Disagreeing is just part of it sometimes and I don't believe that should be the reason to take down something that makes this site as great as it is. As for the questions, maybe we all should just convince people to put important questions in the forums more than they have that way they don't get lost in the archives.



I am sorry yours is the last post I am responding to Lane. I was off for a bit after the original post and am now playing catch up. I understand and agree that disagreements are not a reason to take down chat. However, the stress I and others are caused by it need some kind of answer. There has to be some way to keep it and still not get bombarded with request to ban this person or that person. I too have been disrespected and chastised in chat and still did not take actions against someone for that. This is really what I am looking for. As for convincing people to put important questions in the forums. How do we do that without sounding like the dictating monster I am already made out to be?
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#24  Postby Olive Green » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:23 pm

I run a chat room with 4500 people. I made big mistakes in the beginning by trying to manage conflicts and only made things worse. I learned that trying to manage drama is a lost cause that only stressed myself and the rest of the chat room. Finally, I found a method that worked. Using a simple request, I achieved the goal of keeping the chat room focused on work.

The request I used was similar to the following: "This chat room is for X, please feel free to ask any questions about the X you are working on." At first, I had to say it very often. Eventually, other members followed my lead and said it when I wasn't around. The chat room members learned how to moderate themselves.

For this chat room and the issue you mentioned, I would say something like the following:
"If you post hits, questions or answers in chat-then please post them in the forum threads too."

For any other issues, use non-emotional, straight-forward instructions. You can use the if/then/please format for any request. Focus on the positive and ignore the negative. Refrain from using the words "no" and "rule". Instead use "do this" and "please".

Being proactive about the actual goals is what worked for me and it worked well. I believe it would work well for you too. If you would like me to work with you to compose some if/then requests, I would be happy to do so.

I hope this helps you in some way and best wishes on your journey.
Last edited by Olive Green on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Olive Green
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Eastern US
Has thanked: 329 times
Been thanked: 188 times
Sex: Female

Re: Closing Chat - Any Suggestions?

Post Number:#25  Postby Desuka » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:31 pm

ThatGirl-ST wrote:
Lane wrote:I don't feel like the chat should be closed. As you said yourself you think the chat sets us apart from the other forums and there are several hits, TLR for example, that go so quickly that many will not want to take the time to go to the thread just to say that they're up. Not everyone is constantly looking for hits on a 24/7 basis like I and a few others are so I feel like many will start missing out on when hits are up. With the amount of time that many of us spend together on this site and in the chat, more than 12+ hours a day, it is hard to expect for us to get along with each other each and every day. Disagreeing is just part of it sometimes and I don't believe that should be the reason to take down something that makes this site as great as it is. As for the questions, maybe we all should just convince people to put important questions in the forums more than they have that way they don't get lost in the archives.



I am sorry yours is the last post I am responding to Lane. I was off for a bit after the original post and am now playing catch up. I understand and agree that disagreements are not a reason to take down chat. However, the stress I and others are caused by it need some kind of answer. There has to be some way to keep it and still not get bombarded with request to ban this person or that person. I too have been disrespected and chastised in chat and still do not take actions against someone for that. This is really what I am looking for. As for convincing people to put important questions in the forums. How do we do that without sounding like the dictating monster I am already made out to be?


Create a sub-forum somewhere called "Reports" and require screenshots of the offender and a good reason for the punishment. Make this a private forum so that users cannot see threads they did not create. Do not stress because it is a waste of time to stress. There is no dictator on the forum. This is an attempt to make you feel bad because someone didn't get their way. Never give in.
User avatar
Desuka
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm
Location: California
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Sex: Male

Next

Return to Questions About The Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron