Hello and Welcome to Cloud Me Baby!

CMB is dedicated to improving efficiency & maximizing money making on cloud-based platforms:
-Amazon Mechanical Turk- -Clickworker- -oDesk- -UHRS- and -Other online job opportunities-.


If you are a registered member and cannot access the complete forum you have probably been flagged by our system for not meeting the POSTING POLICY.

SECURITY ALERT global announcement here. (Link corrected)

Chat/Shout Box

Everybody is new once. Don't be afraid to ask. Who knows maybe some of our more "seasoned" turkers will be able to help you out.

Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#1  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:29 pm

There has been a bit of discussion about posting links in the chat and I just wanted to state the reason for my position. I do not mind if you post links in chat if you also post them in the forum. Believe it or not, just like when your mother told you to wash your hands before dinner when you were a kid, I do have my reasons. Posting links only in the chat is just not in the best interest of the community in the long run. Sure, the hits are there and they may disappear in a minute. However as turkers we know they will more then likely come back. They will come back at a different time and there will be different turkers to work on them. So having information on the hits and the requesters in the forum will help EVERYONE not just the ones that are on line at that time. I have tried to come up with a good way to explain this to all and the best example I can think to use is TO. Since most of you either use it or at least know what it is I am hoping you will understand.

If TO was a flash in the pan chat session with no record of peoples post what good would it be? You would not be able to look up scores of certain requesters that were graded by your peers. You would not be able to read comments on what certain requester had done wrong or done right. You would not be able to see if a requester had started out good and all of the sudden went bad as if there was a glitch in their grading system. In fact, if TO was just a chat room you would not be able to rely at all on those green and red triangles on your mtrurk search board because there would be no records there for that script to gather. So I guess, without the permanent post on the site it would not be of any help at all except to those who are on the site at that very minute in time when the chat was posted.

The success of CMB depends on certain things and long term content is a big part of it along with the comradery we will hopefully share. Our site description.... "Helping Navigate and Improve The Cloud Based Workplace" really is what this site is about. It is about helping to improve the cloud based workplace for ALL members of the CMB community, not just the ones who are online at a certain time of the day.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#2  Postby Athena » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:52 am

I don't think you even understand my position, but ok. I got the,
:from soandso at @ cloudmybaby,
message.
So, it is what it is.
'Nuff said.

Right?
User avatar
Athena
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:24 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#3  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:16 am

That is the whole reason I put this out in the thread hun. I don't mind people stating their position on things, even if it disagrees with mine. This thread is to give peeps a place to state their position but also a place for them to see mine. And yes, I DO get your position and that is why I am stating that post can be posted in both places. If I didn't get your point then I would have said no posting links in the chat at all.

BTW... that pm came from me. I am sorry if the return said soandso @cloudmebaby.... I will get that fixed right away! :giggle_f:
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#4  Postby Moop/Deactivated » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 am

I was wondering why i have to wait between messages on the shoutbox ?
I don't talk like that. just wonderin not complaining
Moop/Deactivated
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Sex: Male
About Me: Deactivated for breaking Rule #2

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#5  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am

Moop wrote:I was wondering why i have to wait between messages on the shoutbox ?
I don't talk like that. just wonderin not complaining


Hi Moop and thanks for asking. :yes_f: There is what is called a "flood limit" put in place on the chat box to prevent people from coming in and spamming. It should not be that long of a pause (I think it is set at 5 seconds) but it does help prevent spammers and allows everyone to talk too.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#6  Postby Beekers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Quick question.

I apologize if this has been asked or discussed before, but I'm doing my best to catch up on posts!

Is there a way we can (individually) lengthen the auto-update button or temporarily suspend it?

When I want to post something quickly, I generally like to scroll back to see if it was already discussed within a few posts, or if a link was already posted. When I go to scroll back to read previous posts, I can barely read a word before I'm taken right back to the bottom (newest) posts. Am I completely missing something, or am I a snail that needs to speed up my scrolling and reading in 7 seconds?

Thanks!

B
When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time... :moose:
User avatar
Beekers
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: DC
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#7  Postby myscon26 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Try clicking the archive button. That might help, but I am not sure. It opens up a bigger screen, anyway! One thing, I don't know if you know or not, is that you're supposed to make sure it's posted in the forum before you put the link in chat.
-------**^**------
User avatar
myscon26
Awesome
Awesome
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 pm
Has thanked: 425 times
Been thanked: 425 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#8  Postby Beekers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Ah, yes, the trusty archive button (that was right in front of my face!) :doh_m: I'm just lazy and wanted to see if I could look at the prior posts without having to go into the archive. But, i think I can manage the extra two seconds.

Yep, I know about posting the link in the forum first.

Thank you!
When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time... :moose:
User avatar
Beekers
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: DC
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#9  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 am

Since there seems to be quite a few new people coming into the forum/chat recently we decided to re-post what is expected and make this a global announcement thread.

In order to keep this a happy place there will be no personal attacks allowed. However, civil debating in the proper area will be encouraged. This includes but is not limited to:

a. direct name calling
b. threats of any kind
c. mob mentality
d. any comments that admins/mods deem to interrupt the natural flow of chat/forums no matter being the start of or in retaliation too

So please use common sense. Any members found to be included in the above actions will be warned once. If these warnings are not heeded there will be a zero tolerance approach taken and all involved will be bounced from chat or the forums.


Concerning the issue of information shared in the chat that should also be shared in the forums. I have also added this wording to the bottom of the chat to hopefully make sure that all pertinent information gets added to the threads for future reference. To avoid a large "rule" taking up the bottom of the chat box I would hope the simplicity of the statement below will be enough to explain what is expected of us all.


"For the good of the community, posting links, requester communications, questions or any other pertinent hit information in the chat area will not be allowed UNLESS they are also posted in the proper forum area. Thank you."

These rules/policies are subject to change so please check here for an up to date listing. Thanks
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#10  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:22 am

A change with the Chat/Shout Box as of 4/18/2013:

It seems that the chat has become one of the most popular areas of CMB for quite a few old time members and I for one am VERY happy about that. It is a place where members can come together, share stories, share comradery, talk about non-work things and alert other members about what is hot or not in the work world.

Along with being popular with some old time members the chat has become a big draw for some new participating members as well. :yay: This is a wonderful thing because it allows for newer members to join in on the conversation too. It provides a platform for all of us to learn things about each other that we may not be able to learn with just a forum setting. With that being said I for one am VERY happy that we have such a glorious communication device.

However, as with all good things the chat is not without its cons. There is the fact that it is conversation in real time and there have been times when we have all said things without thinking. Myself included. :baghead_f: There is also the ease of posting things of importance in the chat instead of posting them in the forum for all members (including those who are not in the chat or on at the time) to see. These are just two of the cons that I can think of at the moment and I am happy to report that we have been able to deal with them. Although at times it has not been pretty we have gotten through them with a few changes here and there. We have added a few more precise rules about how we should treat our fellow CMB'ers and have added the ability to ignore folks in chat just as we can in the forum. We have also added an announcement (below the chat box) that states all pertinent work things that are posted in chat must also be posted in the forum which I am very happy to say people have been doing. :thanks:

The last con I wanted to touch on, and the one that is responsible for the most recent change, is the fact that there are many... many newly registered members who are just parking themselves in the chat without saying a word. As I am sure most of you are aware ThatGuy-Wild and I have the ability to see where everyone is at any given time on the forum no matter if they are hidden or not. We have watched this scenario play out time and time again sadly more often then not. Like I stated before, I am VERY happy that the chat is as popular as it is but it is sad that so many newly registered members are not even bothering to look through the threads at all let alone make a post. Instead they are just parking their little behinds in the chat room and having everything they need delivered to them on a silver platter. Most are doing so until the participation policy grace period is over and they lose access. This taking without giving anything mentality has always been frowned upon at CMB and will no longer be tolerated. It is not fair for those who work so hard gathering all of the information to be taken advantage of is such a way.

Now, CMB has always been an open forum. Every thread in the forum has been and always will be open to all new members from day one. We were founded on the fact that there are no hidden threads that you have to earn access to and no post count that you have to reach before you get to "the good stuff". So with every thread being open and with all work pertinent information that is stated in chat having to be posted in the forums as well, all available information is there and available for even the newest members to gather. Therefore, with that being said, the forums as always, will continue to be open to all new members from day one. However, the chat will no longer be open to anyone who signs up on or after 4/18/13 until a short probationary period posting count is met. It is really sad that it had to come to this but let's face it, there will always be those in life who want the easy way out and will take from others without sharing a bit themselves.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#11  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 am

Another note on those lurking in the chat.....

Besides the newbies who have been lurking in chat there are also a few... very few but still a few.... old timers that are constantly lurking in chat without saying a word. I do not mean those who have accidentally left the chat open or those that maybe only chat once in a while. What I mean is those who for weeks or months, again while being hidden, just park their behinds in the chat and NEVER ... EVER...say a word. I am curious about what those of you who do communicate in chat feel about this. If someone is constantly lurking in chat like this do you feel you are being taking advantage of? Do you feel something should be done about it and if so what? I understand that some chat rooms have rules about posting every few hours or so or you will get booted from chat and this is not really what I am looking for. What I am looking for is your feelings on those who park their behinds for weeks and NEVER say a word. So what do you think? Is this abusive? Should this be allowed? Should something be done and if so what? This is something that Wild and I have been struggling with because again, just because someone is hidden does not mean that we can't see their every move and trust me... at times I wish we couldn't. :cry:
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#12  Postby Joe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:26 am

ThatGirl-ST wrote:Another note on those lurking in the chat.....

Besides the newbies who have been lurking in chat there are also a few... very few but still a few.... old timers that are constantly lurking in chat without saying a word. I do not mean those who have accidentally left the chat open or those that maybe only chat once in a while. What I mean is those who for weeks or months, again while being hidden, just park their behinds in the chat and NEVER ... EVER...say a word. I am curious about what those of you who do communicate in chat feel about this. If someone is constantly lurking in chat like this do you feel you are being taking advantage of? Do you feel something should be done about it and if so what? I understand that some chat rooms have rules about posting every few hours or so or you will get booted from chat and this is not really what I am looking for. What I am looking for is your feelings on those who park their behinds for weeks and NEVER say a word. So what do you think? Is this abusive? Should this be allowed? Should something be done and if so what? This is something that Wild and I have been struggling with because again, just because someone is hidden does not mean that we can't see their every move and trust me... at times I wish we couldn't. :cry:


I remember when I first joined and got harassed by ThatGuy - Wild. I just had the tab open and didn't think anything about it, but I've gotten nothing but disrespect from him ever since. I don't think anyone who "lurks," aka "just leaving the tab open and not being on the site whatsoever" is doing anything bad at all. I mean the chat is right there on the main page. THE MAIN PAGE! :facepalm:

I think we should be worrying about the people who use the chat, and not the people who don't. I feel taken advantage by some of the users in the chat, but I will not mention any names.
I believe a majority of the community can agree on that.
User avatar
Joe
Novice
Novice
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:31 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 18 times
Sex: Male

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#13  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 am

Joe wrote:I remember when I first joined and got harassed by ThatGuy - Wild. I just had the tab open and didn't think anything about it, but I've gotten nothing but disrespect from him ever since. I don't think anyone who "lurks," aka "just leaving the tab open and not being on the site whatsoever" is doing anything bad at all. I mean the chat is right there on the main page. THE MAIN PAGE! :facepalm:

I think we should be worrying about the people who use the chat, and not the people who don't. I feel taken advantage by some of the users in the chat, but I will not mention any names.
I believe a majority of the community can agree on that.


Actually Joe you did mention names. If there are other names you would like to mention to me in private you are more than likely welcome to. As I have already told you in a pm.

On another note, the chat can be disabled without disabling the rest of the portal page. This I am sure your best bud can attest to since his chat has already been disabled which is where I am sure some of your hostility is coming from.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#14  Postby Lane » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 am

ThatGirl-ST wrote:
Joe wrote:I remember when I first joined and got harassed by ThatGuy - Wild. I just had the tab open and didn't think anything about it, but I've gotten nothing but disrespect from him ever since. I don't think anyone who "lurks," aka "just leaving the tab open and not being on the site whatsoever" is doing anything bad at all. I mean the chat is right there on the main page. THE MAIN PAGE! :facepalm:

I think we should be worrying about the people who use the chat, and not the people who don't. I feel taken advantage by some of the users in the chat, but I will not mention any names.
I believe a majority of the community can agree on that.


Actually Joe you did mention names. If there are other names you would like to mention to me in private you are more than likely welcome to. As I have already told you in a pm.

On another note, the chat can be disabled without disabling the rest of the portal page. This I am sure your best bud can attest to since his chat has already been disabled which is where I am sure some of your hostility is coming from.


You have rules of posting 2 posts per week to be in the chat, yet I am the person who has the 4th highest posts out of everyone on this entire website and all the help I have given you and I still post yet you disable me. What kind of rules are those anyway? You make rules, then break your own rules. I have enough posts to be in the chat for almost five years. Just because I do not want to interact with someone that calls me a clickspammer on a fairly often basis should be no reason to disable me.
User avatar
Lane
Teacher
Teacher
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#15  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:20 am

Lane wrote:You have rules of posting 2 posts per week to be in the chat, yet I am the person who has the 4th highest posts out of everyone on this entire website and all the help I have given you and I still post yet you disable me. What kind of rules are those anyway? You make rules, then break your own rules. I have enough posts to be in the chat for almost five years. Just because I do not want to interact with someone that calls me a clickspammer on a fairly often basis should be no reason to disable me.


Yes I have disabled your chat. It has been over a month since you have contributed in the chat yet you lurk in there 24/7. As for you being the 4th highest poster on "this entire site" that just solidifies the point that all you really want to do anymore is lurk in chat. That along with the fact that since I disabled your chat (just last night) you are no longer online 24/7. For the past month at least you have just made the bare minimum post and those post are usually filled with fluff or something that you and Joe consider a game. I will not allow those who share in chat to be taken advantage of in that way. You still have access to the forums and will continue to have access as long as you continue to meet the minimum post. If this is not something you want I will gladly close your account for you.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#16  Postby FireSpirit » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:24 pm

I could be considered one of the old timers although I have not been around as long as some. I left chat for a lot of reasons- Left chatting meaning I don't speak in there because I am very uncomfortable and I just don't want any drama or anxiety from it. I just like to be happy and nice and be stress free in as many areas of life as is possible since my life is pretty stressful in other areas.

I still have left chat open off and on throughout the day to make sure I am not posting something someone already has or sharing with gmail friends something they already saw in chat. I hate bugging them on gmail if they have already seen it and know about it. Also I would not want to steal anyone's thunder in the forums if they have already found it. I am only on CMB and I do not share what is posted here elsewhere nor do I post elsewhere what I post here.

This forum and members have shared a lot with me and I will continue to give back.

However- I used to share very actively in chat not just the forums and I can say that I like this policy and think it's a great idea.

I felt taken advantage of when I did share in chat as those on reddit would sometimes post links 2 seconds after they were posted in chat...HITs would go slow and then all of a sudden when posted in chat- they would go at an alarming rate- because of those who lurk.

It can happen the same in the forum as well which is why I don't always post right when a batch is up- because then it gets posted on other forums from those lurking here.

So I think it is a great policy and even if I am a bit uncomfortable in chat- I have no problem popping in a few times a day to post the things I find there as well instead of just in the forums.

I don't have much to say as I get stuck on batch HITs a lot and in between my mom here, my animals and work- It doesn't leave too much time to chat but since I have it up when I am working a lot- I can contribute before I post in the forums as well- which is actually great now since I know there are won't be lurkers most likely who post it on reddit and on other forums- I can post things sooner.

All in all I think it's a great change and a great policy.


ThatGirl-ST wrote:Another note on those lurking in the chat.....

Besides the newbies who have been lurking in chat there are also a few... very few but still a few.... old timers that are constantly lurking in chat without saying a word. I do not mean those who have accidentally left the chat open or those that maybe only chat once in a while. What I mean is those who for weeks or months, again while being hidden, just park their behinds in the chat and NEVER ... EVER...say a word. I am curious about what those of you who do communicate in chat feel about this. If someone is constantly lurking in chat like this do you feel you are being taking advantage of? Do you feel something should be done about it and if so what? I understand that some chat rooms have rules about posting every few hours or so or you will get booted from chat and this is not really what I am looking for. What I am looking for is your feelings on those who park their behinds for weeks and NEVER say a word. So what do you think? Is this abusive? Should this be allowed? Should something be done and if so what? This is something that Wild and I have been struggling with because again, just because someone is hidden does not mean that we can't see their every move and trust me... at times I wish we couldn't. :cry:
Beware your thoughts;they become your words. Beware your words;they become your actions. Beware your actions;they become your habits.Beware your habits;they become your nature.Beware your nature;it becomes your destiny.
User avatar
FireSpirit
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Tennessee
Has thanked: 770 times
Been thanked: 663 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#17  Postby Olive Green » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:06 pm

So if I am on the main Portal page and I don't want to lurk in chat, how do I close it? I'm sure it is obvious but I don't see how to close chat and remain on the Portal. Thanks!
User avatar
Olive Green
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Eastern US
Has thanked: 329 times
Been thanked: 188 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#18  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Olive wrote:So if I am on the main Portal page and I don't want to lurk in chat, how do I close it? I'm sure it is obvious but I don't see how to close chat and remain on the Portal. Thanks!


There is no way for you to close the chat Olive. However, for most members this will not be an issue. We are not asking that members chat every minute or even every few hours of the time they are on the portal page. CMB is a very open forum and the majority of the members share with each other. This did become an issue when members were logging onto the chat every day (one in particular 24/7) for over a month without ever saying a word. This was not a quick decision by management and was probably something that most of you did not even notice because certain individuals were staying "hidden" while they were doing so. As long as you are participating in chat from time to time there is no need to worry about closing the chat window. I am sorry if the recent events have made you think that you had to.
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
User avatar
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 1567 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#19  Postby Olive Green » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 pm

ThatGirl-ST wrote:
Olive wrote:So if I am on the main Portal page and I don't want to lurk in chat, how do I close it? I'm sure it is obvious but I don't see how to close chat and remain on the Portal. Thanks!


There is no way for you to close the chat Olive. However, for most members this will not be an issue. We are not asking that members chat every minute or even every few hours of the time they are on the portal page. CMB is a very open forum and the majority of the members share with each other. This did become an issue when members were logging onto the chat every day (one in particular 24/7) for over a month without ever saying a word. This was not a quick decision by management and was probably something that most of you did not even notice because certain individuals were staying "hidden" while they were doing so. As long as you are participating in chat from time to time there is no need to worry about closing the chat window. I am sorry if the recent events have made you think that you had to.


I was just curious because I'm trying to focus more on work and minimize any distractions. The Portal page is great because it only shows work-related threads whereas the forum page shows both work and non-work threads. However, when I refresh the portal page to check for new posts it goes back to the top showing the chat. I would like to close the chat while I am working because I am too easily distracted by the non-work topics. I'll figure something else out or maybe someone will have another idea. No worries and thanks for responding so quickly.
User avatar
Olive Green
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Eastern US
Has thanked: 329 times
Been thanked: 188 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#20  Postby myscon26 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm

One thing you could try is to click on the Board Index, then click the view new posts link at the top, just above where the forum menu starts. They might not all be work related posts, but I think most of them are.
-------**^**------
User avatar
myscon26
Awesome
Awesome
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 pm
Has thanked: 425 times
Been thanked: 425 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#21  Postby Initfor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Olive wrote:I was just curious because I'm trying to focus more on work and minimize any distractions. The Portal page is great because it only shows work-related threads whereas the forum page shows both work and non-work threads. However, when I refresh the portal page to check for new posts it goes back to the top showing the chat. I would like to close the chat while I am working because I am too easily distracted by the non-work topics. I'll figure something else out or maybe someone will have another idea. No worries and thanks for responding so quickly.


One thing I do from time to time when chat is being overly distracting is I un-check the sound option. Not sure if that helps for your needs, but for me, not hearing the tick, tick, tick in my ear helps me stay focused and out of chat when I should be working :)
User avatar
Initfor
Teacher
Teacher
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 637 times
Been thanked: 415 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#22  Postby Wild » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Well only cause I think you are awesome will I share this w/ you but you have to promise to come in and say hi once in awhile k!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rmanently/

Instal that and then on right click on the blue border of the chat on the portal page and select "RIP Advanced" then when the options open up select this item only. That will remove it from the portal and you'll still have the link in the forum if you ever want to pop in and say hi.
...nothing wise here :delete:
User avatar
Wild
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:55 pm
Location: Wherever the wind blows
Has thanked: 2681 times
Been thanked: 1395 times
Sex: Male

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#23  Postby Olive Green » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:09 pm

ThatGuy - Wild wrote:Well only cause I think you are awesome will I share this w/ you but you have to promise to come in and say hi once in awhile k!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rmanently/

Instal that and then on right click on the blue border of the chat on the portal page and select "RIP Advanced" then when the options open up select this item only. That will remove it from the portal and you'll still have the link in the forum if you ever want to pop in and say hi.


Thanks Wild! I will try it. This should free up some time for me to post in the threads more too. Win/Win.
User avatar
Olive Green
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Eastern US
Has thanked: 329 times
Been thanked: 188 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#24  Postby Ezri » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Maybe the chat needs to be moved off the portal page to a chat specific page. I know that there were several times when I would be on the portal page for much of the day, not paying attention to chat at all, but refreshing the page for the most recently posted in forums. (although I never did it while hidden) I rarely posted in chat because I didn't feel welcome there, but it was still nice to have there in case something came up that needed to be asked or pointed out right away. I don't even have the option now. Do newbies not have access to chat anymore?
Ezri
Banned
Banned
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:24 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 26 times
Sex: Female

Re: Chat/Shout Box

Post Number:#25  Postby Initfor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Ezri wrote:Maybe the chat needs to be moved off the portal page to a chat specific page. I know that there were several times when I would be on the portal page for much of the day, not paying attention to chat at all, but refreshing the page for the most recently posted in forums. (although I never did it while hidden) I rarely posted in chat because I didn't feel welcome there, but it was still nice to have there in case something came up that needed to be asked or pointed out right away. I don't even have the option now. Do newbies not have access to chat anymore?


Yeah, access to chat is restricted until new members make a couple posts, which is explained here: viewtopic.php?p=15989&f=71#p15989 While many newer members do the same thing and just refresh for new posts, there are people who will sit and watch to see what's being shared so they can pounce on it and never contribute. Because of that, regular members were feeling anxious about over-sharing in chat.

Please don't be intimidated by members in chat, we're all really nice and happy to chat with anyone. Yeah, most of us already know each other from working together day in and day out, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for one (or twenty) more! We all have something to contribute and have a great give/take dynamic. I'd really encourage you to say 'hi' whenever the urge strikes you, welcome to CMB!
User avatar
Initfor
Teacher
Teacher
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Has thanked: 637 times
Been thanked: 415 times
Sex: Female

Next

Return to Questions About The Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron