Hello and Welcome to Cloud Me Baby!

CMB is dedicated to improving efficiency & maximizing money making on cloud-based platforms:
-Amazon Mechanical Turk- -Clickworker- -oDesk- -UHRS- and -Other online job opportunities-.

If you are a registered member and cannot access the complete forum you have probably been flagged by our system for not meeting the POSTING POLICY.

SECURITY ALERT global announcement here. (Link corrected)

Thinking about opening the forum/chat for a bit.....

Everybody is new once. Don't be afraid to ask. Who knows maybe some of our more "seasoned" turkers will be able to help you out.

Thinking about opening the forum/chat for a bit.....

Post Number:#1  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:57 am

With the holidays drawing near it seems that the forum has hit a slow down wall lately. What do you all think about opening it up a bit (temporarily) to see if we can promote it for new blood. I am torn both ways and wondering what you all think about it so I figured I would post for input. :yes_f:
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru

Sex: Female

Re: Thinking about opening the forum/chat for a bit.....

Post Number:#2  Postby Shy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:23 am

I have a love/hate relationship with this idea.

Love because sometimes I feel like since its always the same people in chat, and we've mostly been here for a good while, chat does get a bit "stale" sometimes. ( I have to say, I am glad Treemoss turned out to be such a great new family member)

Hate because I have seen what happens on another forum when new people come in and take over. Not only do you have people that will just take, take,take... but also don't take the time to read what is already on the forum.

NOW, I know miss ST and Wild have cultivated a really good thing here... and I know they will keep a handle on things... so maybe it is a good idea. But I know one day last week st showed me how to see how many members we have and how many have posted even 1 post. 1500+ out of 2000something have NEVER posted!!!! That is a very sad concept for me because of the high number.....

I will be interested in seeing what others think on this one...
And the link to my store! https://www.ShawnaJIC.com
I also have coupon codes for first time buyers! Just Ask!
Shy
Teacher
Teacher

Post Number:#3  Postby Jazz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:50 pm

I think it is a good thing to do from time to time. I am not a daily regular like many here, but am regular enough to know that chat groups ebb and flow. New blood is a good thing and it keeps the chat group from getting so "clique-ish" that it is hard for a newbie to feel comfy poking their head in. It could be a useful test to try it at random intervals now and then to see if it results in attracting more "regulars" or just brings in folks who take the goodies and run.
Jazz
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid

Post Number:#4  Postby FrankPapageorgio » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Shy wrote:NOW, I know miss ST and Wild have cultivated a really good thing here... and I know they will keep a handle on things... so maybe it is a good idea. But I know one day last week st showed me how to see how many members we have and how many have posted even 1 post. 1500+ out of 2000something have NEVER posted!!!! That is a very sad concept for me because of the high number.....

Aren't there minimum posts rules in effect that don't let those 1500 people view the forum or the chat though?
FrankPapageorgio
Guru
Guru

Sex: Male

Post Number:#5  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:29 pm

FrankPapageorgio wrote:
Shy wrote:NOW, I know miss ST and Wild have cultivated a really good thing here... and I know they will keep a handle on things... so maybe it is a good idea. But I know one day last week st showed me how to see how many members we have and how many have posted even 1 post. 1500+ out of 2000something have NEVER posted!!!! That is a very sad concept for me because of the high number.....

Aren't there minimum posts rules in effect that don't let those 1500 people view the forum or the chat though?

Yep!
Those who think their lovely doesn't stink haven't taken their head out of their asses long enough to know the difference. :biggrin:
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru

Post Number:#6  Postby sleepstar » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 pm

frankly i think you could open it up and it wouldn't make too much difference. i don't think the holidays are whats causing the lack of participation here, its the actual lack of work. except for a very few old quals still posting work, there is absolutely nothing to do on mturk. uhrs was gone for a while. etc.
sleepstar
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid

Post Number:#7  Postby Silver_Lining » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:50 pm

sleepstar wrote:frankly i think you could open it up and it wouldn't make too much difference. i don't think the holidays are whats causing the lack of participation here, its the actual lack of work. except for a very few old quals still posting work, there is absolutely nothing to do on mturk. uhrs was gone for a while. etc.

Could not agree more. No work worth chatting about, unless everyone would like to know that p9r and Brelig are actively posting. :P
Silver_Lining
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid

Post Number:#8  Postby Shy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Good Point!!!
Shy
Teacher
Teacher

Post Number:#9  Postby blmpclrk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:48 am

I don't think it would hurt if you have an idea about how long to leave it open, let all know of your hopes or expectations of having it open. You can see who comes and goes and whether they contribute or not. I just don't see it as a bad thing right now.
blmpclrk
Novice
Novice

Sex: Male

Post Number:#10  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully more will chime in but in the mean time I suppose I should figure out how to do it for the future. It took so much to keep it closed to members only I have to figure out how to open it up. :lol: I am sure Wild will help me with that. :pray:
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru

Post Number:#11  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Okay, I have officially figured it out all by myself :lol: I am not taking bets on how long it will take for lurkers to come and just hang around. :lol: Oh well, maybe we will get some newbie out of it..... good newbies that is. *fingers crossed :wub:
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru

Post Number:#12  Postby Shy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:48 pm

ThatGirl-ST wrote:Okay, I have officially figured it out all by myself... Snipp!

:balloons: Great job figuring it out all by yourself! Honestly, you should be proud of yourself!!! *Wild better be proud too or I will come smack him myself!* YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
Shy
Teacher
Teacher

Post Number:#13  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Well, opening up the forum this past week has seemed to bring in a few newbies :welcome: and very few non member lurkers. I would have to say from my standpoint it has been a little bit of a success. However, with our normal policy being that CMB is a member only forum, this probationary period will soon be over. I am however, curious to know what our members think about it now that it has come about? Just curious about any input (good or bad) that you have.

:thanks:
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru

Post Number:#14  Postby js155306 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Personally I thought it was a good idea as a limited run, and it didn't bother me one bit. However I am glad it's not going to be a permanent thing, because that would really take away a lot of the incentive for members to share information on good work. I know I wouldn't be wild about broadcasting every good find only to have it gobbled up ala HWTF by people who aren't contributing anything.

Obviously it benefits everyone here to draw in more contributing members - we just need to make sure we continue to protect those members from having their good will exploited.
js155306
Teachers Aid
Teachers Aid

Post Number:#15  Postby ThatGirl - ST » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:43 pm

js155306 wrote:Personally I thought it was a good idea as a limited run, and it didn't bother me one bit. However I am glad it's not going to be a permanent thing, because that would really take away a lot of the incentive for members to share information on good work. I know I wouldn't be wild about broadcasting every good find only to have it gobbled up ala HWTF by people who aren't contributing anything.

Obviously it benefits everyone here to draw in more contributing members - we just need to make sure we continue to protect those members from having their good will exploited.

Thanks JS! I completely agree that it would not be good to have it be a permanent thing. There are already enough "open" forums out there imo and that general idea was not what CMB was founded on. :no: We were founded on people helping each other... not a few helping all.

I have also noticed that (since we opened it up to the general public) there have not been as many people chatting. :no: Granted, that may be due to the upcoming holiday but I would be more inclined to think it is because of those that have the information do not necessarily want it broadcast to the world. :dntknw:
ThatGirl - ST
Guru
Guru

Return to Questions About The Forum